Consular Information: Frequently Asked Questions English |  
SA Government
SA News Update
Topics: 1. Do i need a Visa?

Swedish citizens, travelling on a valid regular Swedish passport valid for a minimum of 30 days from the intended departure date from the Republic of South Africa, and containing at least two (2) blank pages for endorsements, and who hold a return ticket to South Africa for tourism/business purposes less than 90 days, do not need to apply for a Visa.  For other nationalities please click here.

2.Temporary Swedish Passport

A temporary Swedish passport with a photograph may be used for entry into the Republic of South Africa. This document must also be valid for no less than thirty (30) days after departure from the Republic of South Africa, and contain at least two (2) blank page for endorsements

3.Child passport

A Swedish child requires a child passport with a photo for entry into the Republic of South Africa. This document must also be valid for no less than thirty (30) days after departure from the Republic of South Africa, and contain at least two (2) blank page for endorsements.

4. Yellow fever vaccination certificate

Sweden is not a yellow fever area, as declared by a World Health Organization (WHO); therefore a person travelling from Sweden directly to the Republic of South Africa is not required to submit a yellow fever vaccination certificate for entry into the Republic of South Africa.

A yellow fever vaccination certificate is however required for entry into the Republic of South Africa, if a foreigner intends travelling from or through one of the following yellow fever endemic areas to the Republic of South Africa:


Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Cộte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Southern Sudan, Sudan, Togo, Uganda

Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guyana, Guyana, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Venezuela.

The yellow fever vaccination certificate shall not be required when the foreigner intends travelling in direct transit through such area.

In line with the International Health Regulations (2005), South Africa requires a valid yellow fever certificate from all citizens and non-citizens over one year of age:
  • Travelling from a yellow fever risk country, or
  • Having been in transit exceeding 12 hours, through the airport of a country with risk of yellow fever transmission.
The International Health Regulations (2005) requires countries at risk of yellow fever introduction to employ the following measures:

  1. Obtain vaccination certificates from individuals travelling from areas determined by the WHO to be at risk of yellow fever transmission.  As a result, South Africa implements the following measures for all travelers from yellow fever risk countries who are unable to produce a valid yellow fever vaccination certificate at the point of entry:
  • Refuse entry, or
  • Place traveler under quarantine surveillance until their certificate becomes valid, or for a period of not more than six days
Travellers who are in possession of an exemption certificate due to medical reasons will be:
  • Allowed entry,
  • Required to report any fever or other symptoms to the health authorities, and
  • Be placed under quarantine surveillance.
NB:  Definition of a valid Yellow Fever vaccination certificate: Vaccine should be approved by the WHO and administered at least 10 days before departure for South Africa at a Yellow Fever approved vaccination centre.
The vaccine offers protection 10 days after administration and provides lifetime immunity.

5. Customs & Importation Regulations

Updated customs and importation regulations for the Republic of South Africa may be obtained from the Customs Officer at the Embassy of the Republic of South Africa in Brussels:

Tel: +32 2 285 4413
Fax: +32 2 280 0963

6. Importation of pets

Information as well as the relevant application forms with regard to the importation of pets into the Republic of South Africa may be obtained from either the relevant airline or from the Department of Agriculture: (website works better with Internet Explorer).

7. Certification of documents & signing before a Commissioner of Oath

Documents may be certified by or signed before a Commissioner of Oath at the Embassy of the Republic of South Africa in Stockholm. Persons who wish to visit the Embassy in Stockholm for such certification must make an appointment for this purpose.

8. Applying for a police clearance certificate for the Republic of South Africa

Persons living abroad must apply for a South African police clearance certificate directly from the Criminal Record Centre of the South African Police Service (SAPS) in Pretoria:

Please note that only the fingerprint form is available at our office in Stockholm. Applicants who wish to have their fingerprints taken at our office must make an appointment by e-mailing the Embassy on

9. Getting married in the Republic of South Africa

The following documents are required from a foreigner, who intends getting married in the Republic of South Africa:

1. A valid passport containing a valid residence permit for the Republic of South Africa, e.g. a visitor's permit in the case of foreigners who have entered as tourists (the relevant entry requirements are available on request from our office); the requirement of a minimum period of stay is not prescribed to get married.

2. In the case of a previous marriage, final decree of divorce or deceased spouse's death certificate, together with a sworn translation into English.

Prospective parties to a marriage should be informed about the procedure by the marriage officer, who will conduct the ceremony in the Republic of South Africa, to ensure that they comply with the legal requirements. Should they be unsure of any of these, we advise parties to a marriage to seek legal counsel before the marriage is entered into. Please note that the clergy as well as representatives of the Department of Home Affairs, as designated by the Minister of Home Affairs, may perform marriages i.e. act as marriage officers.

After solemnisation of the marriage, both parties to the marriage, the two witnesses and the marriage officer must sign the marriage register, upon which the marriage officer must issue the parties with a marriage certificate free of charge. The marriage officer must submit the marriage register to the nearest Home Affairs office for recording of the marriage particulars in the National Population Register (NPR).

Please note that a full (unabridged) marriage certificate with apostille is required to register a marriage in Sweden; this document may also be applied for through the Embassy in Stockholm.

Further general information regarding getting married in the Republic of South Africa may be obtained from the website of the Department of Home Affairs:

10. Refund of a cash deposit
A cash deposit shall be refunded on receipt of the following documents:
  • Original passport to confirm the holder's final departure from the Republic of South Africa, or whether a permanent residence permit was issued to the holder;

  • Original receipt, issued by our office or by a regional office of the Department of Home Affairs, if applicable, in respect of the payment of the cash deposit (please note that under no circumstances, will a cash deposit be refunded, should this original receipt be lost);

  • Please note that anyone who have overstayed his or her permit shall not qualify for a refund, as he or she would have violated the terms and conditions of his or her temporary residence permit. For further information click here.


  • Letter confirming the details of applicant's bank account and contact details; and

  • Self-addressed envelope with sufficient postage for the return of passport by registered mail (REK) if not collected in person during the Consular Section's opening hours: Mon-Tue, Thu-Fri; 09.00-12.30.

    Please note that it is the responsibility of the applicant to verify the cost with the postal service. Envelopes from companies/institutes with “porto betaltnot admissible.
11. Payment of an administrative fine for an overstay

The following documents should be submitted to our office in respect of each person, who has received an administrative fine for an overstay:
  • Original passport to enter the endorsement that the administrative fine was paid;

  • Original form BI-1731 regarding the administrative fine that was issued to the foreigner on departure from the Republic of South Africa;

  • A self-addressed A5-size envelope with sufficient postage for registered mail (REK), to return the foreigner's passport (not necessary for persons who submit the above-mentioned documents personally during the Consular Section's opening hours: Mon-Tue, Thu-Fri; 09.00-12.30);

  • Proof of payment of R1.000,- / R1.500,- / R3.000,- = the equivalent of SEK 708/ SEK 1062/ SEK 2125.

The above-mentioned amount shall be transferred electronically into the Embassy bank account:

The above-mentioned amount may be transferred electronically into the Embassy bank account:

Recipient: South African Embassy in Stockholm
Bank giro: 606-4893
Banking institution: SEB
Ref: Fine for overstay

12. Overstay Appeals

Persons who are declared undesirable persons in terms of Section 30(1)(h) read with 50(1) of the Immigration Act, no 13 of 2002 as amended (no. 13 of 2011) must submit the written representative as indicated below:

The following documents must be submitted:
  1. Written representation

  2. A copy of the declaration of undesirability (form 19) that was issued at the Port of Entry

  3. Copy of the relevant pages of the passport, including bio page

  4. Acknowledgment of receipt (in cases where the applicant has applied for a permit and the status is still pending)

  5. If the applicant overstayed due to medical reasons a medical certificated must be submitted.

The appeal must be e-mailed to:
For confirmation that the appeal has been received applicants may contact the IMS Operational Centre at +27 (012) 406-4586 

13. Do I as a South African national need a Visa for Sweden?

Please note that the South African Embassy in Stockholm does not issue Visas for travel to Sweden and the Embassy is therefore unable to offer information regarding requirements and/or processing time. For the correct information please contact the Swedish Embassy in Pretoria, South Africa or Migrationsverket.

14. Travelling with children – Birth Certificate requirements

As of 1 June 2015, children under the age of 18 must have an Unabridged Birth Certificate ie a full birth certificate for the child, with information on who are the parents of the child, with them to enter South Africa as per the new Immigration Directives  The Swedish equivalent to a full birth certificate is a so-called "Personbevis 120 with all relationships" (= with extended information about the child's parents). It can be ordered from the Swedish Tax Agency, tel: 0771-567567 or online from  and must be in English as well as stamped and signed by the Tax Agency. As is cannot be older than 3 months upon entering South Africa please don't order it to early!

Kindly note that this only applies if you are travelling on a passport from a country which is not visa exempt as per the information available from DHA;

As to the "letter of consent" (approval in the form of a certificate in English) for parents traveling alone with children or children travelling without both parent, the Dept. of Home Affairs has published a pdf of this form  - Parental Consent Affidavit . The certificate shall be certified by a Commissioner of Oaths (available at the consulate in Stockholm) or a Notary Public (contact the County Administrative Board for a list of Notary Publics in Sweden:

Kindly note the Parental Consent Affidavit must be filled out with a black pen only. Please keep in mind that the Affidavit is to be signed in front of Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths at the Embassy.

Accepted forms of identification is a valid Passport only. Assistance with the Parental Consent Affidavit will be provided during Consular hours; Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 09.00-12.30. For the Embassy to be able to assist please remember to bring the Parental Consent Affidavit, Personbevis-120/UBC, original Passports and copies of all passport; child/ren and parent/s.

15. Can I get a visa for an internship in South Africa?

No. The Immigration Act, as amended, makes no provisions for foreigners to undertake internships at companies and organizations in the Republic of South Africa. Therefore, visas may not be issued to such foreigners; including foreign students whose studies prescribe an internship.
HE Ms B S Mabandla
Head of Mission
More Information
Statistics South Africa
South Africa Reserve Bank
South African Revenue Services
Johannesburg Stock Exchange
Government Online
South African Airways
South African Tourism
National Parks of South Africa
South African Broadcasting Corporation
Consular FAQ
© South African Embassy Stockholm, Sweden| Disclaimer